Wednesday, July 17, 2013

this is a section of chapter 4: High School Tales
I noticed that my body was a problem in seventh grade gym class at South Williamsport High School. This foreign land called high school held many new experiences but gym class was the most awkward. When I stepped into the girls' locker room, I entered an area of cold, grey cinder block walls, grey cement floor, blinding naked fluorescent bulbs hanging from high ceilings, dark green metal lockers and cold, narrow benches. I briefly thought that this must be like prison as I rushed to meet the demands of the instructor barking out orders, "get into that gym suit now! Be out on the gym floor immediately." She snapped her orders with the authority of a head warden. We all undressed quickly out of skirts, blouses and loafers and donned our shapeless, blue cotton suits and white sneakers while jamming clothing, books and purses into the nearby lockers as ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment